What I'm doing. Where I've been. What I saw. And why I shot it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, May 16, 2011

the B side shot

When I shot the Kenney sisters in March for USA Weekend magazine, as part of the Make A Difference issue, the art direction was a specific set up, perfect for the article. (You can see it if you scroll down from the issue link.)
But I always do at least 2, usually 3, set ups on a photo shoot. Choices are good, right?  Call it giving editors something to edit, call it my pants-and-suspenders personality making sure my clients are covered, call it an excuse to indulge my curiousity  and poke all around a location.....OK, call it neurotic. But it's what I do.

So in nosing around, I found this divine divan in the sisters' bedroom. Then their mom let loose the Buggs from their basement canine hideaway and I'm calling it a B side hit.

If you're wondering what I am talking about, as 17 year old just said to me "oh, it's a seventies thing. " Yup. Its all about the vinyl. 

Examples (gee thanks Wikipedia, you always have the answers):
 "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor (originally the B-side of "Substitute"), "I'll Be Around" by The Spinners (originally the B-side of "How Could I Let You Get Away"), "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart (originally the B-side of "Reason To Believe"), and "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" by BeyoncĂ© (originally the B-side of "If I Were a Boy"). More rarely, both sides of the single would become hits, such as Queen's "We Are the Champions" and "We Will Rock You".
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 
want to see more of my B sides? they're in the portfolios at Gale Zucker Photography

1 comment:

  1. "B" sides are the BEST sides, usually. The red and purple ROCK!

    ReplyDelete